Last updated on December 30th, 2022 at 03:31 pm
There was a time when you were slim and could go about your daily activities without a care in the world. But you suddenly notice that your belly has grown into a pot belly. You become frantic and ask questions like “What causes lower belly pooch?”
You are not so different from other people in a similar situation. A lot of factors are responsible for causing lower belly pooch. Here are a few of them
If you are a female and have been pregnant before, then you can relate. Pregnancy and C-sections have tremendous effects on women’s lower bellies. Women find it difficult to get back their trim shape post-baby, but it is still possible with the right amount of exercise.
2. Weight Gain
When your belly starts growing, your abdominal wall lengthens as well. This brings about a stretch, and once this condition is prolonged, they become weak and long. In the end, this causes a lower belly pooch.
3. Bad Posture
The sedentary lifestyle most people lead leads to the accumulation of fat. When you sit down to watch TV, read, use your PC, etc., your posture can cause your abdominal muscles to switch off. Your chin drops down, and your shoulders roll forward.
In this posture, your belly protrudes like a pregnant woman’s while your back and hip muscles support your back. This seated position has a lot to answer for.
4. Inflamed Internal Organs and gut
Inflammation of the internal organs and gut can result from intolerances, bad foods, or food allergies. When you eat foods that are not good for your body, your digestive system and gut may suffer inflammation.
When your gut becomes inflamed, they swell up, thus pushing your abdominal muscles to the stretching point. The muscles lengthen, making it difficult to get them to return to their proper shape due to weakness.
The thing about distended muscles is that they can be fixed, but it will take time.
5. Water Retention / Bloating
Bloating or Water Retention can Originate from Several Things;
- Artificial sweeteners that have a high sodium content
- High-processed food diet
- Gluten products
- Lactose in wheat and dairy
Water retention can also be caused by hormones, especially in females at different times of the month.
What can you do about Lower Belly Pooch?
- Start performing core stability exercises such as the side plank, the plank, etc. If you lack ideas, you can go on YouTube to check how it is done.
- Perform research online to find out how you can stimulate your core while in a seated position
- Increase your intake of fiber and eat more whole grains
- Get more sleep
- Engage in high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and cardio exercises
- Register in your local gym so you can perform adequate exercises under the supervision of a fitness expert. This is because there are different exercises for men and women
- Always seek proper advice from specialists.
- Cut down on alcohol and sugar – you must focus on these critical areas to lower your belly pooch.
Hopefully, this article has answered the question “what causes lower belly pooch?” and what you can do to lower your tummy.
Rick Kaselj MS, is a leading kinesiologist and injury specialist as well as co-creator of the best-selling Unlock Your Hip Flexors program. Rick creates exercise programs that help people heal injuries and eliminate pain, so they can go back to living a full, active, healthy life.